Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Me and my bat

I don't drive anywhere without my old wooden bat in the back of my GMC Yukon. Not for protection...imagine me saying to a bad guy, "Uh, could you just wait here a minute while I get something out of the back?" No, I use my bat for mechanicking. I know, no such word, unless you're from around here.

A few years ago a friend told Wayne that there is some bug (flaw, whatever) in the fuel tank area of the GMC SUVs. The bat is my only mechanicking knowledge, so I can't tell you what the problem is...only how you might be able to fix it. Since Chevrolet Tahoes supposedly roll off the same assembly line as the Yukons, this might apply to them, as well.

Here's what happens. You get all your stuff together: purse, grocery list, recyclables, water, library books, and hop behind the wheel. You stick the key in and turn it. It sounds like it's going to start, but it doesn't. After a very brief couple of seconds, you try again. Again, it doesn't start. Okay, one more time. Same result. Crap! Luckily for me, before this ever occurred for the first time, our friend had told Wayne about his experience. Evidently, after taking his truck to the (real) mechanic a time or two, he was told about the bug (flaw) and it was suggested that he get down on the ground near the gas tank, reach under and give the gas tank a whack. Whatever the bug is, apparently the whack takes care of it and the engine will now turn over.

For some reason I remembered this story that Wayne had gotten from our friend. So, I got down by the gas tank, but didn't feel like I could apply the whack with the proper intensity. What with the running board, the gas tank was a bit too far from the edge of the car. Looking around our garage, I saw the bat. I got back down so I could see where the gas tank was, stuck the bat under the car and using only one hand (really, how could I have used both hands?) and just the force from a wrist flex, I gave it a couple of whacks. Got in the car, turned the key and it started right up! That's when I put the bat in the back of the car. I can't remember if it has ever happened anywhere other than the garage or not. If it did, I'm sure I only had one knee on the ground to steady myself and did not look like I was taking a pee in the parking lot.

It just happened again, in the garage, as I was heading over to Carolyn's house to retrieve my glasses. And, once again, the bat did the trick. I would guess that this has occurred about 5 times in the last several years. A couple of whacks with the bat and I'm on my way again.

I just realized it's more likely that the first time it happened, I called Wayne. I'm guessing he came to the house and HE remembered the story. But, it's been all me ever since.

No comments: