Thursday, October 25, 2007

10-25 Update on Wayne


Wayne was much more alert today. Almost as soon as Robin and I walked in, he complained about the technique the nurses used to scoot him up in the bed. Last week we were told that the most important things he needed to do in the hospital were:

1. Breathing exercises to expand the lungs (10 reps, every hour)
2. Coughing to get the nasty hospital germs out of his lungs (10 reps, every hour)
3. Walking (3-4 times a day)
4. Moving his feet while in bed (flexing) to promote good blood flow

The instructions last week were to pre-medicate before he was going to do any of these things. In other words, take a hit on morphine about 10 minutes before the activity to reduce the pain.
He's getting constant morphine now; the hit is just a little extra punch when he needs it. My job is to encourage (read "nag" since this is a G rated blog) him to do all these things. Granted, this is only the day after surgery, but he didn't take to my encouragement very well. Usually, I got a dirty look. When he did do the breathing, he often fell asleep between breaths. The second time I suggested it was when I got the dirty look...so he didn't do the exercises then. The third time I suggested it, he balked at the pre-medicating because he knew it would make him drowsy and he said he didn't want to be sleeping all the time. I wonder what else he thinks he might be doing? The last time I mentioned doing the breathing, he took the hit, but then I don't think he ever did the breathing.

About noon, two little bitty things came in to force him out of bed. ( See photo) He walked a few steps out of the room, with their help, of course, and then sat in a chair in the room for about 45 minutes. He nodded off most of the time while in the chair (he had pre-medicated), but woke up occasionally to let us know he wasn't comfortable.

Turns out I have to go to a class offered at the hospital most days at 10 AM. We also have to watch a video. This will help us understand and cope with this strange, new world. An ostomy nurse came in with two notebooks worth of information and catalogs for ordering supplies. We have lots to learn. Thanks, Bubby, for the information you were able to give us earlier this week. At least Wayne wasn't hopped up on morphine then, so he could absorb what you were saying. He dozed through much of the information given today. The ostomy nurse said it would all be repeated many times before we go home. Maybe we won't be completely clueless, just 90 % clueless!

Thanks to all of you for your good thoughts and prayers. It's so comforting to have so much love coming our way!

3 comments:

Clarice said...

Hi Susan, I got your blog site via Jane Reynolds. Glad Wayne has his surgery behind him. We will keep you guys in our prayers.

Clarice Lampe

PS. I think you're a "natural" at blogging!

MomRaun said...

We, too, got your blog site from Jane. Sure glad for some good news via Jane! Our prayers are for a trouble-free rapid recovery. And I really enjoyed the other posts....especially the video of the go-go dance....precious!
Cheryl and Travis Raun

Jill said...

Hi Susan,
I am not sure if this is my first or second comment sent to you from me. I typed a long comment earlier telling you how glad I was to hear Wayne's recovery was going so well and that you and your family have been and will be in my prayers.....anyway, I got ready to send it and it said I had to register an account with google,...so I did and I have no clue where my lengthy comment went. You may have gotten it or it may be out there somewhere. Oh well....I love reading about you and your family. What a wonderful family and how lucky you are to have each other. I admire your uplifting spirit and it sounds like that is just what Wayne and your children need right now. Take care and I look forward to reading the updates.
Jill