Monday, January 4, 2010

Turning over a new leaf!

Well, yes...I say that now, when I'm enthusiastically attacking all fronts. Clutter in some of the rooms of our home; dust everywhere!; diet & exercise; paperwork out the wazoo; and the list could go on for quite a while.

What brought about this sudden burst of energy and desire to amend my behaviors? I watched a show on Discovery Health last night about hoarders. These are people who are crippled by their need to save everything. They have many issues which result in the inability to get rid of stuff.

While I'm not nearly as far gone as those poor souls, I don't think I'd be surprised if I were labeled a hoarder. On the other hand, maybe I'm just lazy about cleaning...and, actually, that is more likely the true diagnosis. But, once the clutter gets to a certain point, it's overwhelming and very difficult for a lazy, unmotivated person to handle.

The game room is really the only room that other people see. And to be honest, a lot of that stuff isn't mine. It got deposited there by one of the kids (Robin) for one reason or another and hasn't been moved yet.

The other messy rooms are not seen by anyone else...the laundry room, my bedroom, my office. I want to clean them...really! After watching the television show, I got right up and worked for 30 minutes or so in my bedroom. And I'm motivated now.

I'm setting the timer on my phone and only allow myself an hour on any activity. Not quite sure what that will do, but I'm giving it a try. Maybe it will keep me from getting bored.

I just checked and I have 5 minutes before I have to change activities. In the last hour, I've spent some time in Quicken, on the Wharton County Library website, and on the phone with a librarian. I've folded and put away my laundry and I've read "Mommy, hungry!" and written this post. I was intending to pay a few bills, but now it's lunch time. I'll go steam some veggies and eat a healthy lunch and get back to work activities in an hour!

Wish me luck!

No comments: