Thursday, December 17, 2009

Unplugged, when I want to be

It seems to me that I've already posted about this topic, but I couldn't find it...maybe I should label the posts...but then I'm sure I would agonize over finding the perfect label.

Anywhoo, I have grown increasingly annoyed at phone calls on our land line. Phone calls from friends and family are not the problem, of course. And we have been free of telemarketers for years, for the most part. Now it's non-profits, marketing and farming surveys, and political calls. They come at all times of the day, although I find it most irritating when the phone rings between 8:30 and 9 PM and it's one of those unwanted calls. I've told Wayne not (now I remember when I wrote a similar post...it was the Tele-Surveyer post...I just didn't realize it was that long ago.) to answer the phone if he didn't recognize the caller and he has complied.

But, now I've had an epiphany...just unplug the damn phone! So, I've been trying to remember to unplug it around 6 PM. I leave it that way and then plug it back in much later (those callers have rules about how late they are allowed to call.) Today, a call came in at about 8:30 this morning while I was on the other side of the house from the base phone. I nearly broke my neck racing to the kitchen to unplug it. You see, if it's unplugged, the caller will hear it ring and ring and ring. It doesn't ring here and the answering machine doesn't come on. I know, I'm evil, but it feels great! It's been unplugged all day and I love it, love it, love it!

So, friends and family, if the phone rings and rings and rings and the answering machine never comes on, feel free to call either Wayne or I on our cell phones. I'm not posting the number here...if you need us badly enough, you'll know someone to call to get our numbers.

No comments: