Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The New Cows on the Block

Even though I've written about some cows who happen to live in the adjoining pasture, I don't want you to think I'm fixated on them.  Cows.  I can take them or leave them.  But, you can't help but notice them.  They either give you a condescending stare or a stupid look.  There might not be much difference between those two faces, come to think of it.  But, maybe I should use the positive intent tool I learned in a parenting class last year and imagine that they are a) simply interested in what I'm doing, or b) even worried about what I might do.

Anywhoo, our neighbors across the road have fenced in about 18 acres or so and planted grass...or hay grazer...or whatever you put when cows are going to live there.  After several months of preparation by them, I noticed recently that there are now 2 cows that have been moved in.  The first time I noticed them was when I walked out to the mailbox.  They were standing near the fence just a few yards away from my mailbox.  One watched me approach the mailbox while the other one freaked out.  Freaked out might be a little strong.  She just hippity hopped back a ways, like she'd been shot at.  I got my mail and said, "Hey..." to them and went back from whence I had come.

Every time I look out my front window (that I can actually see through now because it's a NEW window) they are in that same corner, near the road, fairly close to the mailbox.  When I walk out there now, they don't move away.  I usually say something, like "How's it going?" just to be friendly.  They just stare.  A couple of days ago, though, as I spotted them through the window I got the feeling that they still weren't comfortable in their new digs.  While I was looking they would leave their favorite spot, wander away a few yards, stand still and look at each other for awhile.  It actually entered my mind (strange little thing that it is) that they looked like they were in witness protection.  Like they had been dropped into a new environment and forced to learn a new occupation because they couldn't practice whatever skills they had learned during their earlier life.  Maybe they were just lonely.  So, I'll continue to pass the time of day with them even though I don't really want to become BFF's.

No comments: