I have a few tricks up my sleeve to make life smoother, so I've decided to post one every now and then.
Bottles and jars with the foil or paper seal across the top.
I used to go in search of a knife or scissors when I opened those kinds of jars or bottles. Not any more. I realized a few years ago that I usually didn't have to walk a a single step to puncture and then remove the foil or paper seals. My counter tops (laminate, alas) have square edges that go beyond the cabinets, so if I'm standing near one of the corners, I just carefully push the seal into the corner. It makes a little tear in the seal, as if I'd used a "church key." If I'm not standing near a corner, I'm probably near an upper cabinet door. Just open the door and push the seal against the bottom corner of the door. Obviously if there's liquid in the container, you have to be careful. The same goes for containers that are totally filled.
2 comments:
Or try using a corkscrew. I have some experience with unconventional use of such a tool. But do not try to take said corkscrew through airport security, another area where I have expertise. I await future free form tips.
A corkscrew would work, but I would have to find one! Well, I know where it is, but I would have to walk somewhere to get it. The way I do it now, I don't have to move my feet at all. I used to try to punch through it with my fingernail first, and then I would finally give up on that because it was tougher than my nail and then I would go get a knife. Now I've outsmarted the foil seal!
Post a Comment