Sunday, June 5, 2011

Random Activities at the Bay

We had a nice weekend at Port Alto. It was just me and the Bubelas. Wayne is busy watering cotton and couldn't join us. Robin and Chad were god-parents, along with Chad's sister, Alicia and her husband Slade, for their new niece, Maggie Mae Motal...daughter of Chad's sister Laura and her husband Jackson. Wendy and Kelly and the boys had birthday parties to attend this weekend. So, as I said it was just the six of us.

It was quite windy and the waves were high when we arrived on Friday about noon, but not nearly as bad as it was last Sunday when we were there for the day. It remained windy all day Saturday and then it was beautiful today...but hot as blazes. I am getting a decent tan, the first I've had in years. I use plenty of sunscreen and reapply, so I can't account for the tan.

Jax really liked the water, especially today when it was all calm. Carlee amazed herself by walking into the water by herself. Until today someone had to carry her in. You can't always understand the workings of her busy little mind...you just try to respect whatever is bothering her. I don't really know what that was about. Once she was in, she was fine...just had some issue about walking in. Today she was in and out under her own steam as the three kids first floated around with Carolyn and I about 20 yards from shore and then, when we got out, they filled buckets with mud from just off the beach.  We didn't mention that we thought we saw a shark just as we arrived at the beach today.  It was probably about 50 yards away and heading away from us.  That would have kept her on the beach for sure.  We kept a sharp eye out while we bobbed (like bait) in the knee deep water.

We ate a quick lunch and then Brent loaded up Jax and Carlee and took them home. Carolyn, Kate and I packed up, cleaned, swept, vacuumed, laundered and left shortly after 2 PM.  I'm tired...but, we did have a good time.

The palm tree in one of the photographs was a big surprise.  To my knowledge, we have never had a single stalk of any kind of tree or flower on that property in the 70 years or so that we have owned it.  Why a palm tree would suddenly decide to appear in the joint of the sidewalk is anyone's guess.  It's particularly puzzling to Brent who has lost numerous pampered palm trees in the past two winters.  

Don't give up on the photos...there's a a couple of videos at the end! 


Kate and Carlee
Jax, relaxing with Carolyn
Virgie, Carolyn and Brent
Brent and Jax
Jax, Kate and Carlee
A palm tree grows in our sidewalk!
Kate, during a rare quiet moment
Jax and Carlee enjoying an afternoon nap
Somebody needs to vacuum...might as well be Kate!

Make that sink shine!


4 comments:

Ceecee said...

Shark? Yikes! Shark bait? Double yikes! I am in awe of that palm tree. But then that shows how easily I can be awestruck this evening.

Word verification: pudgers
Definition: as he regains consciousness in the hospital, last thing husband remembers calling his wife

Susan said...

I turned off the computer early (11:30) last night, so I didn't see your comment until this morning. Thanks for the big laugh with your word verification. It started my day on the right foot! I had to crank it up to let you know I was laughing out loud! Typing on the iphone has lost its charm...unless its the only option.

Jamie said...

Shark? Now all my childhood fears of the bay are justified! Damned Jaws movie, anyway.

Susan said...

Oh, believe me, I know! I talked to a neighbor at the bay and he suggested it wasn't impossible that it was a shark...the water had cleared from all the wind and wave action. I tried to think maybe it was a pelican or other water bird...even though what I saw looked like a triangular fin. It wasn't a dolphin, it stayed on the surface. And then it did one of those quick swirls that made Carolyn and I both say "Whoa!" By the time we had texted Brent to bring the binoculars, it was out of sight. I pictured myself on a lifeguard stand at Amity beach, searching the water for fins!