I don't know what's going on here, but I have two clocks that have suddenly gone into overdrive. One of them, in my bedroom, has always chosen to be eleven minutes fast. I have reset it numerous times and it always prefers the future, apparently. It seemed easier to accept it than reset it, so I just got used to deducting eleven minutes from whatever it displayed.
Recently, however, for some unknown reason, it has become extremely hyperactive -- changing minutes ever thirty seconds -- yes, I stood there with a stopwatch and timed it. I first realized how inaccurate it was this morning. I opened my eyes and it displayed 8:22. So, I got up, thinking to myself that it sure was dark in the room for 8:22. Just to be sure, I uncovered the other clock in the room -- I cover it when I go to bed because the display is so bright I can practically apply makeup by it. That clock, one that actually sets itself, showed that it was not quite 7 AM.
Obviously, my next move was to go back to bed and sleep another hour and a half. Mission accomplished!
I did reset the erring clock before I went to make my breakfast, which was around 9. After breakfast I headed to the treadmill to walk for 30 minutes (getting in shape for Disneyland). Luckily, I found that I can tie my Kindle onto the treadmill and read, making the exercise almost enjoyable. Once finished with the treadmill, I moved to the recliner to watch a DVR'd program, and noticed that the clock by the television was hours ahead of the actual time. I knew I had reset the clock yesterday -- hearing Twilight Zone music? So, I reset it again, noticing that the ":" between the hours and minutes seemed to blinking at a much quicker rate than usual. I used the stopwatch again and found that this clock, like the one upstairs, was changing minutes every thirty seconds.
I'm upstairs again right now and the clock I reset about 3 1/2 hours ago is now about 4 hours ahead of the real time. The two clocks are not the same brand, they were not bought at the same time, they don't share a breaker -- so isn't it strange that they should both start exhibiting the same behavior at the same time?
Maybe I should take them outside and put a stake through them. Witchy clocks!
No comments:
Post a Comment