Anyhooo, I went to the library and did whatever I needed to do there and then took home the instructions. I made an attempt at getting it set up, but found it confusing and so I gave up.
A few months ago I decided to give it another whirl. Possibly there was a book checked out that I wanted to read and I'm sure I thought that using the internet, I would be able to get it instantly. It's not quite that simple. But, before I go further, the next section is an email I sent to a friend after finally managing to download my first book.
Well, at last I've managed to download the book I wanted so that I can read it in my browser. But, it wasn't easy. It was a constant vicious circle and I still am not sure how to get back to my book. I know I can -- I just don't know exactly how.Since that email, which was sent last September, I've downloaded and read about 10 or 12 books. I have a few on Hold that are currently being read by other patrons. The online process is very similar to going into the library and coming out with a book. You search for a title or an author. The book you want may come up, or you might only get books with similar names. Every book is not available online. If the title you want does appear, it could be an audio book or even in a different language. But, if you are very lucky, your book is there ready to be Borrowed. You can borrow it for 2 weeks, at the end of which time it will automatically be removed from your Bookshelf (if you haven't already returned it.)
In order to open the book I needed to select the application in which to open it. When I selected the App Store on my Windows 8 computer, (not to be confused with the iTunes App Store), I had to enter my Microsoft ID. Huh? Figuring I didn't have one, I tried to get one, only to find out I apparently already had one, but I had no idea what the password was. After numerous frustrating tries, several googled inquiries, and about 10 sites open on the computer, I read somewhere that the "Microsoft ID" is the new name for Windows Live. And I did have the account information I needed for that. So, I was able to log in. But, then I needed an Adobe ID. So, I got an Adobe ID. Then I needed to authorize Adobe in OverDrive with my new Adobe ID. Then I had to figure out how to get back to my book. My brain was so fucked up by then I couldn't concentrate on the book. So, I thought I would vent by writing this to you. Meanwhile, I got an email from Adobe asking me to verify my recovery email address (in case I forget the password.) That, at least only involved clicking a button.
All of this was just on the computer. I don't know if I'll have to go through a similar dance (one step forward, two steps back) if I try to view the book on my iPhone.
I think I'll go have some lunch and read an actual book.
Susan
Books that are not available because someone else has borrowed them can be placed on Hold and an email will be sent to you notifying you that the book is ready for you. You have two days in which to borrow it before it goes to the next person in the Hold queue.
This has become my favorite way to read. I am now able to access my Bookshelf on two computers, my iPhone and the new Kindle Fire HDX that I bought specifically so that I could read my borrowed books. Truth be told, I have done more game-playing than reading on the Kindle Fire.
Sometimes the library (the Houston Area Digital Media Catalog) has more than one copy of a title. The book I downloaded yesterday, The Bat by Jo Nesbo, has 3 copies. When I put it on hold several months ago, there were thirty-something people in line ahead of me. Still, with 3 copies, I would have expected it to be available long before now.
I highly recommend this method of reading -- it's free and once you get it all set up, it's easy.
Now, I'm going to go have some ice-cream!
No comments:
Post a Comment