Friday, October 26, 2007

10-26 Update on Wayne


It's about noon, so there's not so much to tell about Wayne right now. He's doing fine...more alert, but still sleeping a lot. He doesn't even have the TV on, which is unheard of at home.

Enough about Wayne, let's talk about me. : )

Robin and I got to the hospital in time for me to attend a class (apparently mandatory) on Foley catheters, their use, cleaning and care. Wayne and I had already had hands on experience with that a month ago. Evidently, since I was familiar with that device, I decided my job was to be the class clown. Really, I just broke the ice with the five other "students" in the room. One woman, maybe my age or a bit older, was overwhelmed by it all, so I tried to help her and reassure her that she would be able to manage. I made jokes about Bob, the practice dummy, and tried to lighten up the mood a little. We had to practice our technique on Bob, who sat quietly while we fumbled around with the alcohol swabs, tubes and bags. We spilled pretend pee down his leg and accidently yanked the tube coming from his "business." The two men in the room, both patients, winced and looked a bit apprehensive as their wives practiced their new skills with such abandon.

Robin left to have lunch with a friend in Sugarland and then to babysit Kate at Carolyn's office for a while. Once Brent picks Kate up, Robin will come back to the hospital. Robin brought her laptop and will leave it for me to use during the next week.

Carolyn called me this morning to say she had seen yesterday's blog and wanted me to know I kept saying that Wayne had to "pre-meditate." Of course, I knew it should be pre-medicate. When I spoke to people yesterday I kept saying it wrong and then correcting myself. Who knew I could actually type it wrong several times (and then proofread) without noticing. Anyway, I fixed it, so don't bother to go back to yesterday's blog to check it out.

Wayne still doesn't like it when I suggest it's time to do the breathing, but he usually will go on and do it. He got out of bed, with minimal help from me, and sat in the chair. When a nurse came in and he volunteered to walk outside the room a bit, I took the opportunity to visit Cafe Anderson and get some lunch which I brought up here. There is a patient/visitor lounge room with a coffee machine, ice and water, a microwave and a fridge, tables and chairs. There are puzzles stacked on top of the fridge. They are trying hard to keep us from going postal, I guess. Everyone we've come in contact with has been very kind and helpful.

Later in the afternoon, after a little nap, Wayne was able to stay awake long enough to read the sports section of the paper. He was worried about whether or not ESPN2 was available at the hospital...it is, so I guess he'll be a happy camper tomorrow afternoon. He still hasn't had anything to eat or drink. He has a small piece of foam on the end of a stick that he can dip in a glass of icy water and then swab the inside of his mouth. He calls it his popsicle. A doctor who stopped by this afternoon reported he was hearing some bowel sounds, so maybe he'll be able to start some sort of food soon. I guess if I go into the room tomorrow and he tells me to "pull his finger," I'll know that things are looking good!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe I shouldn't admit it, but I didn't notice the mistake in your previous log. Guess it's hereditary (sp?).
Glad to hear Wayne is moving around some. Look forward to seeing him at home.
Enjoying the blog. Keep it coming.

Judy said...

I always look forward in reading your blog and knowing the updates on Wayne.

I can just see you making those women laugh! I am sure that is exactly what they needed from a special lady like you to break the tension.
Judy

Chris said...

Can't wait for the Family Christmas so that we can discuss Wayne self-meditating. Although I can't see that someone else meditating for you would do much good. Glad to hear he is doing well. Try to come in tomorrow to visit.

Peggy said...

We are so proud of both of you. Keep up the good work.

By the way, if Wayne has too much pain, tell him it is payback for childbirth...

Andy said...

It seems to me that Wayne's dozing off is no difference than when he is watching TV at home. I wonder if he has been "self-meditating" at home?

Hang in there Bro. we all love you.