Saturday, November 3, 2007

11-3 Update on Wayne



Friday, November 2

It was great to get Wayne home yesterday. We got discharged by 11:00, but it took until after 12 to get a cart to shuttle Wayne and his stuff down to the car. I had been sending plants and flowers home with Brent for a couple of days, so we had only one plant to take with us. The plants and flowers are really beautiful...now. I need to get the mums planted, but the ground is pretty solid out there. I haven't done any work in the flowerbeds since spring.

Anywhooo, the trip home was very smooth and only took 65 minutes. I surprised Wayne with a new recliner for the bedroom. Figured he'd be more comfortable watching TV from the chair rather than the bed. He really seems to like it.

He still isn't eating much...a one-year old would consume more food than he is right now, but that is supposed to be normal. According to the information we've been given, his appetite will return after a couple of weeks. So far, his favorite food has been an apple. Still, he only eats one or two slices at a time. He's supposed to drink about 64 ounces of water a day from now on. That will be a real challenge for him. He's working on it, though. He hasn't had a cigarette since October 23 and really hasn't acted like it's bothering him. He has a prescription for Chantix, but he hasn't started taking it yet. Since nausea is a possible side-effect, he wants to wait a little longer before he starts the regimen.

All in all, I think the day went as well as it could have. He walked out to the barn and fed the horse and walked out to the mailbox with me and around the driveway.

Saturday, November 3

Wendy and Kelly and the boys came over this morning for a visit. Wayne and Kelly and the boys walked out to the barn to feed the horse. It would have made a cute photo if I had run outside to take it. The photo I did take was when the boys were horsing around inside the house. That's Zane on top of Gage, who's on top of a giant stuffed reindeer.

Wayne is continuing to walk around the house. He put on my micro-fiber loop houseshoes so he could dust the floor as he walked. I told him I wanted to make sure he had something to hold onto in case he slipped, so I gave him the dust mop. Safety first!

He had Raisin Bran for breakfast, a very small amount of pot roast, gravy, potatoes & carrots, and 1 slice of apple for lunch and half a grilled cheese sandwich and a slice of apple for supper. Not much, but it is a slight improvement. Robin and Chad came by and she brought him a couple of peanut patties, so he dug right into one of them. I loaned him my pedometer so he could tell how much he walked.

About 4:00 we drove down to visit the kids. We went to the Bubela's first. When we were ready to leave, Wayne walked across the field to the Garner's. We were back home by about 5:30. By then Wayne had walked over 3000 steps and he was pretty tired. So, I fed the horse for him and then made his (Wayne's, not the horse's) supper.

I think he's doing as well as can be expected. I think I am, too. I'm not known for my patience for patients. Usually, I'm good for a couple of days, but then people need to get on the road to recovery.

No comments: