Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pigs must be flying

I read a recipe for brussel sprouts recently that made them actually sound good. I've had them once or twice in my life but didn't like them enough to cook them more than that. Of course, it goes without saying that that isn't the sort of thing Wayne likes to eat. His saying is that "vegetables are for gardens." He'll eat salad, celery sticks and carrot sticks, but that's about it.

Anywhooo, having purchased brussel sprouts at the grocery store, I looked at Mommy, Hungry and found the recipe that I wanted:

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

2 pounds Brussels sprouts
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 400* F.

Remove the ends and brown or damaged leaves of the Brussel sprouts. Rinse well in cold water. Dry the sprouts well. Cut in half lengthwise. In a bowl, gently mix the sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast on foil-lined baking sheet for 30- 40 minutes, until crispy and on the outside and tender inside.


I was only cooking them for me, so I adjusted the ingredients accordingly, although I didn't actually measure anything. I think I only used 5 or 6 of the sprouts, halved...so 10-12 halfs.

Wayne came in for lunch about the time I got them out of the oven. It looked like they were really burnt on the outside, but I picked up one of the burnt outer leaves and took a nip, thinking "how stupid are you to eat this bit that looks like a burnt piece of paper?" But, it was actually still pretty good except that I had put too much salt in the olive oil. Wayne saw them and made a negative comment...which I totally expected and did not get mad about. I agreed that they were pretty crispy and too salty. So he said he might like them then and I gave him one to try. Surprisingly he actually tried it and got another one. I think he might have eaten more if he thought I was willing to share.

All in all, I enjoyed it and will cook the rest of them the same way. The oil & seasonings were about what you would want to dip some good bread in (at least it would have been if I hadn't added too much salt. From now on, I'll just make it like a bread dipping recipe.

It did stink up the house a bit, though. I'd rather smell cinnamon rolls baking!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Glad you liked them, but they are stinky. I wonder if I can get my dad to try them? Betting not . . .

Ceecee said...

Try adding some minced garlic with the oil so the yummier garlic fragrance will overpower the stinky sprouts. This oven roasting method is my favorite for almost all veggies.