We are doing the same thing this year. Earlier in the week I emailed the girls telling them I would make the turkey & dressing & gravy and gave them the list of other dishes that need to be prepared. They made their choices and all should go well. At dinner tonight, Pat mentioned a do-ahead gravy that she has personally tried and pronounces wonderful. I asked her to send it to me...hope she remembers...otherwise I have to make my usual gravy, which is fine, but not what I would call wonderful.
****************
A year or so ago I bought a Cuisinart food processor to replace the GE food processor that I had been using for about 30 years. That GE sounded like one of those machines that chews up branches. Or maybe it was more like a rock tumbler...or a combination of the two. It got the job done, but it was so noisy! The new one is very quiet and just feels so substantial. I've only used it a few times, so I'm not totally familiar with how the lid components fit together...or what they all do...or how to put the lid back on after washing.
After I used it to chop up the onions and celery for the dressing, I washed it. As I was rinsing it, I saw that soap was in parts of the lid that I wasn't positive I could get to. But, I kept rinsing, turning it this way and that until I didn't see any more soap. I wanted to dry it and get it put away, but now I couldn't get to the places that were soapy before...do you just let it evaporate? (Which reminds me of a story about an aquarium we used to have...after the last fish died, I just let the water evaporate. Took about a year, as far as I can remember.) As I was stuffing and twisting the dishtowel into a small opening, it suddenly came apart, releasing one of the components that I thought was stationary. Okay, but now there was another place that I couldn't get reach to dry. I was again stuffing and twisting the dishtowel when, lo and behold, another component came loose! It was like I had a personal genie reading my mind and taking this thing apart for me. I had no idea what had happened...but, I got it dry. My personal genie also helped me get it back together, but then deserted me when I tried to put the lid back onto the base. I had to work that out by myself. Eventually, I did figure it out.
Sadly, I know it will all be brand new to me the next time I use it. Maybe I should put a note inside it explaining to myself that the lid comes apart if you screw with it long enough. I came to the conclusion that I hadn't actually figured it out and a monkey could have done just as well, at least at taking it apart.
Tomorrow I'll make my dessert, a variation of Coconut Supreme. Mine is 1/2 Chocolate Supreme and 1/2 Banana Cream Supreme. Any flavor of pudding is good. My current favorite is Lemon Supreme and I'll be taking that to the Wendel/Rioux Family Christmas in Austin in December.
No comments:
Post a Comment