Monday, March 8, 2010

What's for dinner tonight?

I made myself go grocery shopping this morning. The pantry has slimmed down quite a bit, although there is still plenty of stuff to make a meal from. I'm using "meal" rather loosely here. Some people might not consider peanut butter & jelly a meal. Luckily for me, and Wayne, that sandwich would qualify for a meal in this household. He is very relaxed in his attitude about what should be presented at meals. Truth be told, the main reason I needed to go to the grocery store was because there were only a few slices of bread left.

He rarely eats breakfast at home. He leaves early in the morning and goes to town to have coffee (and maybe something to eat at Jack-in-the-Box.) It's my understanding that he stops somewhere else first and buys coffee for the ladies at JITB. I don't really know why that is. If he was here right now, I would try to get a clarification. But, it's mid-afternoon, he's not here...and I won't remember later.

Occasionally, he eats lunch here. But, more often he doesn't show up at lunch, either. He eats in town with friends. They pass around a card which indicates whose turn it is to pay.

Even dinnertime doesn't guarantee a real meal around here. Once a week I go out with friends and he occasionally has a meeting to go to. He usually tells me in advance about meetings so that I won't bother with a meal then, but sometimes I forget and cook anyway.

I was planning on making a meal tonight, but remembered after I got home that the fire department fried fish dinner is this evening. Carolyn said that if she and Brent decide to pick up some dinners, she will take my ticket and get a meal that Wayne and I can share. If there's enough for two. If there isn't, there's always peanut butter and jelly.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Hmmm, I wonder if it is a peculiarly Texan thing to have these ticketed dinners, such as at the bay and the one you might get tonight? We're in a smallish town too and there are lots of fundraisers but none that are "take-away." Curiouser and curiouser. I wish I had dinner coming to us tonight. Instead I've got pork chops for the kids, masoor dal and bulgur for me, broccoli for all! And they're annoyed because it's taking so much of my playtime!

Susan said...

When I worked in town, I was approached to buy meal tickets quite often. As best I can remember,it might have been possible to get meal tickets for various fundraisers almost every week. The Fire Department, the Rotary Club, the Lions Club, the Elks, the Catholic Daughters, Project Graduation (which has a number of these meals), the Little League Association, as well as organizations in the smaller towns surrounding ours. As Thanksgiving neared there were always several (on different weeks) which featured turkey and dressing. By the time Thanksgiving got here, we were all pretty sick of turkey...and their various dressings were never as good as homemade.

We did get our fried fish and oyster dinner tonight, and it was enough for us to share. I got two fish fillets and the cole slaw and Wayne got one fish fillet, an obscene amount of crispy fried oysters, the french fries and a bowl of pinto beans and cornbread that we've been working on since Saturday. It was good.

Oh, and most of these fundraisers offer the option of eating there, on tables set up inside whatever building they are using. We just usually pick it up and scurry home with it.

Ceecee said...

I miss the fire department fried seafood feast, a great greasy treat wherever you eat it.

Susan said...

Carolyn just asked me if I wanted tickets for a roast beef dinner later this month and said Wendy had mentioned one to take place in April. Probably little league. Carolyn said she prefers the KC (Knights of Columbus) fish dinner.