Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Corn-less Cornbread

Well, I did it again!  I forgot to put the cornmeal in the cornbread. 

There I was, being as efficient as all get out...measuring, sifting, mixing...I had the mix ready to put in the oven by the time it was preheated.

When I opened the oven, however, I immediately noticed that it was suspiciously low...not nearly up to the top of the pan as it was supposed to be.  As I put it on the trivet I replayed the ingredients and then realized that I had neglected to add the cornmeal.  Again.

 It's been a year or so since the first time I did that.  Straight out of the oven it's not that bad, actually.  Sort of a sweet doughy bread.  Put a little butter and it can be pretty tasty.  But, I had intended the cornbread to go with our meal that included pinto beans and sausage.  I tried it with the beans and bllphh!

I am going to have to remember to at least get the cornmeal out of the pantry the next time I make the recipe.  Maybe that way I won't forget to add it.  Geez!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

So, that didn't work, but how was the other bread (which post I totally missed until today)?

Susan said...

You didn't miss it...I just made it today. It was only okay. I think I really did use 1/4 cup less liquid than I should have. Just wasn't paying close enough attention when I measured. It also seemed like it needed to bake a little more, although the outside was pretty and it sounded done. I think it will be okay for toast and it was okay with the spaghetti we had for supper. I've made this bread before and it was good...so this was my fault.