Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wireless Dilemma

I brought Carolyn's laptop home with me today because I wanted to try out her Verizon Wireless modem at my house to see what kind of connection speed it gets here. I have had so much trouble with my connection through the local electric co-op. I have had to check email via my iphone most days out of the last few weeks and it was almost impossible to get connected or stay connected long enough to handle paperless bill paying.

As luck would have it, I get the most bars (almost the maximum) when I'm sitting in my recliner upstairs. Good news and bad news. When I'm watching television and want to mess around on the internet or type posts, the recliner isn't a bad place to be. My feet are up and I can type in comfort...except for getting used to the laptop keyboard. It's getting a little better, although I just had to back up to correct the extra letters I put in "getting." I suppose I should get with it and at least get a laptop for this type of thing. I don't like the "mouse" touch pad thingy...but I guess that, too, would get more comfortable with more practice. Plus, I could take a laptop with me (if I wanted to) when I'm away from home for more than a few days.

For real bookwork though, I need to be at the desk in my "office", near the files and printer and all that officey paraphernalia. Let's pause here while I try to figure out how to spell that word without having to get up out of the recliner. I know I didn't spell it right, and I didn't even really try because I knew the program would underline it in red and suggest the correct spelling. Well, I just did spell check and apparently that's the way you spell it...who knew? Paraphernalia was the word I was talking about, by the way. It still looks weird to me.

Anyhooo, I need a decent connection at my desk, too and I guess I could accept two bars. It's still bound to be faster than my current wireless. I'm testing the upload speed at the moment by uploading a video I shot while I was in California last week. We were taking a tour of a golf course. It's about 20 MB and would take quite a while to upload and process using my current wireless connection. I've got the timer going and expect the upload to complete in a much shorter time. ***music from Final Jeopardy answer period playing in my head.*** According to the screen here....it's done! In 7 minutes and 34 seconds. Ooooh...Verizon...here I come!!!

You can watch the video if you want...but, other than Andy, Chris, Judy, David & I...I suspect it won't leave you wanting more.

No comments: