Thursday, December 23, 2010

My State of Mind

I look forward to doing the Sudoku and crossword puzzles in the paper every day.  For one thing, I just like puzzles...but, I also take that opportunity to gauge how my mind is working that particular day.  We older folks are always on the lookout for signs of Alzheimer's.  So, I use my iphone's timer to see how quickly I can get through those puzzles. 

Monday's puzzles are the easiest.  The difficulty level builds as the week progresses.  Because of that, I can't compare Friday's times to Tuesday's, but I can still evaluate how I've done. 

I thought I was going to have a sharp day today after completing both puzzles in 20 minutes...those were from a Tuesday paper (I think) from about a month ago.  I told you recently that I got behind on the paper while I was on the Fall Foliage trip and I still haven't caught up. 

So, I was feeling pretty smart when I headed to Carolyn's to keep the kids occupied for an hour or so while she saw a few patients.  I helped Kate read a Level One book.  She kept saying, "This is a really good book!"  She was judging it as good not because the content was fascinating, but because she was able to read every page.  With a lot of help.  And with constant reminders to think about what she was reading.  She wasn't really getting that it was a story...she was just reading words.  After she sounded out every word in a sentence, I asked her to read it again.  And then again.  And then again.  She asked why she had to keep reading it over and over.  I told her I wanted her to know it was a sentence and not just a bunch of words in a row. 

Anyway, when I got back home I was disappointed that I had forgotten about the corned beef I bought yesterday.  If I had put it in the oven before I left home, it would have been almost ready to eat.  It needs about 3 hours.  I love corned beef!  So I turned on the oven, got the corned beef ready and stuck it in the oven.  Then I made a sausage and tortilla roll-up and continued working on the "difficult Sudoku" in the Sunday paper.  That one often needs to be put aside several times before I complete it.  While I was working on that, I suddenly noticed that the oven was on so I got up and turned it off and went back to the puzzle.  It took about 20 minutes before I realized that I had turned off the oven where the corned beef was supposed to be cooking.  I turned it back on and mentally calculated the new "done" time. 

I washed up dishes from breakfast and almost turned the oven off again when I was leaving the kitchen.  I might have to put a post-it on the oven to keep myself from turning it off.

And now I'm heading downstairs where much loot is waiting to be wrapped and piled around the tree.  Well, not everything will be wrapped.  Some of the stocking things just get stuck straight into the stockings.  I've gotten much less enthusiastic about wrapping over the past few years. 

Did I mention that I had gone to Dollar Tree to shop for stocking items?  Apparently, everything in the store is $1...unless it's less.  Some candy that I picked up was 69 cents.  I had been there earlier in the week and when I got to the check-out with my basket full of one dollar goodies I was disappointed to find that they take every credit card except MasterCard.  Which is the only card I have.  And I rarely have much cash and I don't carry a checkbook with me.  So, I left them to put everything back.  Luckily, I didn't get cranky and say something rude.  My mind was saying that I would never go back there, but my cheap side was saying "everything is $1!", so yesterday I cashed a check and went back.  I got a whole bunch of crap for under $50.  Oops!  My Christmas spirit sounds like it needs a Hallmark movie. 

No comments: