Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Woes of the disconnected

In my last post I was so excited about having received my Verizon 4G modem. With incredibly bad timing, the 4G network apparently experienced a nationwide outage all day today. Talk about frustrating...especially since Verizon chose not to send a text message advising clients of the situation. I didn't turn on the computer until about noon and soon found that I couldn't connect through Verizon. Since broadband is still very new to me, I was helpless to know what to do. I couldn't even find a number for tech support, so I just kept trying to connect. Carolyn came over for some soup at lunch and reassured me that this happens sometime. Usually, in her case, she just keeps trying until connection is established. So, I kept trying...all day.

I was able to connect through my wireless service, but it remains slow and takes much longer than usual to load pages. I finally saw (via a link to MSNBC) that the 4G network was down nationwide. That reassured me, at least it relieved my concern that the modem was defective. So....I played FreeCell and tried to connect every once in a while...until, at 11 PM, it finally connected.

I don't like it when things don't work the way they should. But, it's working now...so I'm a happy camper again. It seems a little sad that being able to connect makes me happy. Sigh.

No comments: