Saturday, September 8, 2012

Excerpts from Old Letters

I was putting something away in a file cabinet drawer this morning when I noticed an old box full of letters that I had saved.  I haven't looked to see when the last one was dated (I had apparently sorted them at some time), but the first one was to Wayne in September of 1962.  He was in Delhi, Louisiana, picking cotton for Frankie and Sammy Popp.  It was sweet of him to have saved my letter, don't you think?

I read two or three letters that I had written and then one his grandmother had written to him.  When I read the next one from me, it had a part that had me cracking up.  So, I decided to share that part with you.  I'll continue reading the letters and if any are worth sharing, I'll do so.

From September 20, 1962:


Do you remember those jars Mrs. Popp put the water in that I took to you and Bobby that day?  I still had them in my car and one of them broke and Margie Sublett, Cookie's small sister, jumped in the car this afternoon and cut her foot.  We didn't know how bad it was until Mrs. Sublett came out looking for part of Margie's toe.  I thought it was terrible and felt pretty bad, but Cookie says it happens all the time.  I sure hope I never find that piece of toe...Mrs. Sublett didn't.
That's all from that letter.  I can't wait to continue through the rest of them.

No comments: