Monday, September 10, 2012

Excerpts from Old Letters

I must have written this letter after a high school football game.  It was an away game, I didn't mention where it was in the letter.  The football team always stopped to eat somewhere after the game and the cheerleaders always stopped at the same place and joined them.

From September 21, 1962

At supper after the game Coach Hayes called for a moment of silent prayer...we were silent, but the juke box was playing.  It was the first time I had ever prayed to the tune of one of Brenda Lee's songs.
I'm pretty sure it was the only time, actually. 

It's fun going through the letters, although I'm not tempted to read very many at once...it's a pain getting the letters back into the envelopes.  Back then I bought boxes of stationery with envelopes.  The paper was almost exactly the same width as the envelope.  What were they thinking?

I guess they weren't thinking that I might be looking through those letters 50 years later.  Neither was I.

No comments: