Thursday, September 18, 2008

Upgraded

After our facials, Carolyn and I went to the AT&T store looking at cell phones. Carolyn said her RAZR had been dropped so many times on her concrete floors that she worried that it wouldn't last much longer. I've had my cell phone for a really long time, and it looks like it. I've dropped it in a puddle once. After it dried out it was fine. I used it in the shower recently...I didn't get it in the water, but the conversation went on for quite a while, so the steamy atmosphere made it quite working until I took it apart and let it dry out. Anyway, I've been considering a new phone for about a year, but just didn't see what I wanted at my usual stores...Walmart, Best Buy, etc. I've never actually looked in the AT&T store before.

I wasn't going to look today, but decided to go on in after a few minutes. The sales associate was showing Carolyn an IPhone3G. I don't need all those features, but it was really cool. I looked at a few others with QWERTY keyboards, but, geez, the keys are small. And the IPhone is really cool. I decided I would just think about it for a while. About a minute later, before I knew what was happening, I heard myself say, "I want that phone!" So, I bought it. Along with a Jawbone Bluetooth thingy, a car charger and a gel case. It's really cool. But, I don't know much about what I'm doing. I was trying to use the Bluetooth while I talked to Robin and hung up on her at least 3 times.

The last phone I got didn't even have a camera, but the manual was about 1/2 inch thick. It told you EVERYTHING. This phone does internet and email and GPS, you can watch movies and television (just what I need, another screen to watch!) and download ITunes. It's really packed with goodies. One little booklet which has a few pages and teeny tiny type warns you about using it in explosive atmospheres, etc. The other little (booklet is to generous to describe it) pamphlet has bigger type and pictures of the screens and tells you what you can do, but is too polite to actually tell you how to do it. I suspect it's fairly user-friendly, but it looks like this user is going to need a couple of weeks to get acquainted before we get friendly.

Carolyn ended up buying one, too, and has been texting me madly. The texting is similar to instant messaging. I finally told her I was working in Quicken and to leave me alone. She had already set up her email account and downloaded some email and looked up an address for Brent. The last I talked to her, she was downloading music.

I need a tutorial. But, it's really cool! Can't wait to get to an internet page and turn the phone sideways to get a wide view. How cool is that!

No comments: