Yum! Fresh tamales!
I got up really late this morning and has been my routine this week lately, I brewed a large coffee in my new Keurig single cup coffee maker and drank more than half of it before I made and ate my oatmeal. Love the coffee maker! I have been drinking instant coffee for several years and was perfectly fine with it. Then, when I got my last facial I had a cup of brewed coffee from a Keurig. I liked it so much that Carolyn (when I wasn't in the room) questioned them about it with the intent of buying one for me for Christmas...a gift from all three families.
Too bad! I didn't want to wait for it. The next time I went into a Bed, Bath & Beyond I bought the sucker and boxes of different types of coffee. I kept a list of the coffees and wrote what I did or did not like about them. The "pods" are about 50 cents each. You can also buy a reusable filter to fill with your own coffee. Numerous roasts are available in the store, but at my local supermarket and Walmart there are just a few. Of course, they're available online...but I haven't checked that out yet.
Enough about the coffee. Right after I finished my breakfast, I started a pot of quick chili. While I was doing that Wayne called to let me know that Raul (our tamale dealer) had been by and wanted to know if we wanted any. I told him sure, but we didn't have room for much in the freezer, so just get us 3 dozen. He said he was going to Edie & Glenn's to watch the Aggie football game, so we decided to get a couple dozen more for him to take over there...along with the chili and some rice that I would make.
Raul delivered the tamales to Wayne and when he brought them, piping hot, to the house I couldn't wait to tear into the package. Omigod! They were so good...the masa was soft and moist and the meat was medium spicy...just right. I probably ate half a dozen right then (even though I had just finished my oatmeal) and pronounced them fit to take to Edie & Glenn's. Just talking about them makes me want to go finish off that dozen. Think I will!
The quick chili recipe...in case anyone is interested, is below. It's what Carolyn makes for chili and fritos. Personally, I prefer Wolf Brand chili for that...
Quick Chili
Brown 1 lb hamburger
Add 3 or 4 tablespoons taco seasoning (to taste)
Add 1 can Ranch Style beans
Optional: Add 1/2 can chili-style tomatoes (I use the HEB brand...I also use an immersion blender to make it more like tomato sauce...Wayne pushes tomato dices to the side)
I add a can of water (we like it soupy.) Let it simmer as long as you like. I like the hamburger meat to get tender, so I cook it at least an hour. Carolyn would probably serve it as soon as all ingredients are in and it's heated good. She's usually in more of a rush with hungry kids banging on the table.
1 comment:
Well, we don't have a tamale dealer up here in Connecticut, but I did make chili tonight, too--and with a can of Ranch style beans!!! Though, mine also had a can of mild rotel, 2 cups of black beans and a can of red kidney beans, plus some chili seasonings and a bag of vegetarian crumbles (faux ground meat). Perfect with crackers and cheese, though I wished I'd remembered to buy Fritos!!
Post a Comment