Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dusty

Our horse, Dusty, is ancient. He was about 5 or 6 years old when we bought him for $500 for Wendy. I think I remember being told he was foaled in 1977. Wayne and I always disagree on his age by about a year or two, but in any case, he's old. He's been a good horse for the kids and we've taken good care of him. He's starting to look his age now, but he was a pretty fellow for many years.

Lately, I've heard him make his neighing sound quite a bit. It always got my attention because it was unusual. It seemed like I was hearing him more and more. A couple of times lately I've even gone outside to look in the pasture to see if something was bothering him. I heard dogs barking constantly and then heard him, so I was worried that they were barking at him...but they were in the neighboring pasture barking at something else. I couldn't see any reason for him to be upset.

I mentioned it to Wayne a few nights ago. We talked about it, wondering if maybe there was a snake or a rat in his stall. He was surprised that I could hear Dusty from inside the house...but that doesn't mean anything...we already know he can't hear.

So, a morning or two ago I heard Dusty neigh. Then less than a minute later I heard him again...then again. I opened the door to the playroom (formerly the porch) and walked to the window to see if I could spot him. But, the shrubs are high and trees block most of the view of the pasture and the barn. Suddenly, I heard a neigh that sounded like it was coming from the right, just outside the playroom. My first thought was that Dusty was in the yard. Then I looked down and heard and saw the reason for all the neighing.

You have to pinch his ear to make the sound effect. And a dang good sound effect it is! It fooled me for a couple of weeks. I don't know what was making it play the sound without being pinched. Maybe the battery is getting weak.

No comments: