Friday, October 9, 2009

Garlic Cheese Grits

You may remember the souffle fiasco from a few days ago. What I didn't say (at least I don't think I said it) was that while I was eating it I was realizing that Garlic Cheese Grits was probably what I meant to cook.

So I made Garlic Cheese Grits this evening. What it loses in fanciness it makes up for in taste and, unfortunately, calories. Of course, you don't have to eat the whole thing at one sitting. In fact, I probably couldn't even if I wanted to. The recipe fills a 2 1/2 quart casserole to within an inch of the top. When I say I probably couldn't, I really mean I couldn't possibly.

It has some of the same ingredients as the souffle...just much more. Instead of a tablespoon of butter, try a stick of butter! Instead of a cup of cheese, try 4 cups. Plus you cook 1 1/2 cups of grits...that's the amount of dry grits you pour into the six cups of boiling water. It's a buttload of cooked grits. And it takes an hour and 20 minutes to cook. The recipe, not the grits. The grits only take 5-7 minutes once they come to the boil.

The nice thing about it is that it's so good reheated. Put some in a skillet in the morning to go along with your omelet & bacon. YUM! Wayne wouldn't like it as it's flavored with garlic. So, it's all mine.

I made a note on a post-it and stuck it to the souffle recipe. It said, "You like Garlic Cheese Grits a lot more than this and it's a lot easier to make." That ought to take care of that. At least I will have warned myself. Sort of like "Back to the Future."

No comments: