I decided to walk out to look at the hydrangea early (relatively) this morning to see how it was doing after the rain which fell all day yesterday. I figured it must be pretty happy. It looked about the same...no better, no worse. But while poking and feeling around it with my foot I could tell that no new dirt had magically gotten itself there to fill in the voids. And some of the pine needles seem to have left their assigned spots. Maybe I should make more of an effort.
The lantana, on the other hand, is as happy as a plant can be. Could it be all the regular watering it's getting from the irrigation system? It never occurred to me to water it regularly...it just looks like it prefers to be on the dry side. But, honestly, even if it had occurred to me, I wouldn't have followed through on it. I feel like I've done my part by bringing it home from Walmart and planting it. I did actually consider snipping a few cuttings from it and poking them into the ground in "flower bed" out front...across the driveway. What do I have to lose? The lantana is crazy spread out onto the concrete, so I would just be pruning it a bit. By poking the cuttings into the ground I get to skip the tedious steps of digging a hole and removing a plant from a pot. If it makes it...yay! If it doesn't, who's gonna know? Win, win...right? Maybe I'll do that later.
I also walked around the entire perimeter of the house, pulling the occasional weeds that have sprung up in the new landscaping. I blame Wayne for having Rudy & Joe spread that lousy sand in the beds after all the giant, old shrubs were removed. There are now places where nutgrass has popped up and I haven't had to deal with nutgrass in ages. The rest of the sand pile, which lurks in the side yard is full of johnson grass and nutgrass and other weeds.
My trip around the house couldn't have taken much more than 10 minutes. There was a nice coolish breeze and I didn't mind it at all. But, I did notice that I should probably deadhead the roses again. Geez! Does it never end?
No comments:
Post a Comment