I was about to walk out to the mailbox to put a few envelopes into it when I remembered what I said earlier about getting some clippings from the lantana and poking them into the flower bed across the driveway. So, I got the clippers out of the cabinet, stuck the envelopes into my pocket and proceeded to clip five 8" long bits from the bush. It occurred to me that the stems seemed pretty flimsy and maybe cuttings should be taken from the woodier part of the shrub. But, what the heck. This is going to be an experiment and I don't really care what the outcome is. It would be cool if one of the five actually roots, but it doesn't matter.
I needed something to punch a hole in the ground, so I grabbed the frog hose thingy. (I knew the word for it a couple of hours ago, but have since forgotten. It's to prevent the hose from scraping over flowers, etc, when one is pulling it to different areas. If I think of the word again, I'll be sure to put it in here.)
I poked a hole and dropped the first "cutting" in and them smashed it closed with my foot. It had been just a couple of minutes since I cut the piece off the bush and it was already in a swoon. I continued on with the other four and each looked as bad as the one before it. I didn't water them, because a) it rained all day yesterday...surely that's enough dampness, and b) I don't care very much. Certainly not enough to fool with dragging a hose way out there. No telling how long that would take me. First a 50' hose wouldn't be long enough, so I'd have to connect a couple of them and then connect to the faucet and then wrestle them out there. Plus, all of the hoses are dirty, which would be annoying. Going back and forth with a bucket of water would take less time, but would be heavy and, well, refer to b).
GUIDE! That was the word...a hose guide. See photo below of the frog hose guide and the very sad looking cutting nearby (which looks like it's bent over puking or maybe about to faint). The frog looks suspiciously pleased. And, by the way, if I were actually using it as a hose guide, it would be pushed down much further.
No comments:
Post a Comment