Monday, November 1, 2010

Our Relatively Busy Weekend

I mentioned a post or two ago that my cousin Judy and her husband David were coming to visit.  They drove from beautiful Southern California (Upland, actually...where I was born) to Austin, where their older daughter, Kim, has lived for about 20 years.  After about a week in Austin, playing golf, etc., the three of them arrived here on Friday. 

Per my usual insane method of getting ready to have people come to my house, I made a half-assed attempt at straightening up, but didn't actually accomplish much until the last few hours.  I still had a (nearly empty) suitcase on a bed in a guest room until a few hours before they were expected.  I would say the house was as presentable as it needed to be.  So...I guess my crazy method works for me.

I even had some new furniture.  Wayne has practically begged me to buy new furniture for the living room for years.  Our furniture was purchased in 1977...I bought it while we were building the house we live in now.  It has certainly served us well, but it looks its' age.  The cushions were so squashed it was difficult for some of the more senior members of the family (Wayne) to get up once they were seated.  The few times Wayne sat on it, he usually just rolled out off onto all fours and then used the armrest to help himself up.  Anyway...I had an hour to kill a week ago and decided to go through Lack's to see what they had.  I saw this couch that looks fairly similar (I thought) to what I had and bought it on the spot.  It was delivered a couple of days before Judy & family got here.  It is a similar style, I guess...contemporary.  But, where my old stuff was low-profile (back and arms were the same height), the back on this one is quite high...above my waist...so it really seemed to dominate the room.  Oh, well...I don't care.  It's done.  But, I do need to find something better for a coffee table or foot rest.  And maybe a recliner that also swivels. 

Judy, David & Kim got here right on schedule and we had a wonderful visit.  Unfortunately for me, they were only going to be here two nights, leaving here to go back to Austin on Sunday morning and then leaving Austin on Monday to head back to California.  But, we made the most of it and they saw just about all the family there was for them to see during the two days they were here.

On Friday evening, Christy & Billy had a birthday party for Molly and Joey, who are now one-year old.  Of course, all of Chris & Mary Jane's kids and grandkids were going to be there, so that was a great opportunity for them to meet all of that group.  All of our kids and grandkids were there, too.  We stayed about an hour and some of the little ones ate hot dogs there.  Then our kids and grandkids came to our house where we had a spaghetti dinner.

On Saturday, Andy drove in from Matagorda and spent much of the afternoon visiting with the Vickerys here.  Later in the afternoon Chris, Mary Jane, Wayne and I, and the Vickerys went to Hinze's for some barbecue.  Then Chris took Judy & Kim to El Campo so they could see some of the town...my parent's house, etc.  Once back here, they watched football for HOURS, until first Judy, then me, and finally Kim retired to our respective bedrooms.

Chris cooked breakfast for us on Sunday morning and once we got back to the house, the Vickerys packed up their bags, loaded the truck and off they went.  It was a fast and furious two days...but, so wonderful to have that time to catch up and retell stories on each other.  It was really a lot of fun.  I can't wait to do it again.  Judy's mom...my Aunt Ludene...will celebrate her 90th birthday a year from now.  I hope to get out to California to celebrate with her at that time. 


Below:  Judy, Kim & David


Below: Judy & me

Below: Wayne, me, Judy, Kim, David

Below:  The new furniture...ta-da!

1 comment:

Ceecee said...

What a treat to get everyone together while your guests were here! I'm sure they appreciated your efforts (and the spiffy new sofa, too).
Definition for vvw "conich": against but not too sure why; opposite of proich