Saturday, August 11, 2012

Plumbing Fun

I slept in this morning...

Actually, I did wake up about 8 with a headache, so I got up and took a couple of something...acetaminophen, I hope (I didn't turn on the light, but the lid of the bottle felt right), and went back to bed.  Carolyn texted me at about 8:15 with some kind of Christmas gift ideas for others.  I typed back that I'd talk to her later, that I was sleeping.  But, I forget to send it, so she sent two other texts.  I have my text alert sound set to whistle (the "tweet" sound, I think.)  I noticed  that I while I had typed it, I hadn't sent my response to her earlier text, so I sent it then and was saved the trouble of typing a new message.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to get back to sleep.  Not to worry...the next time I woke up it was almost 11.  Guess I needed that.

While I was eating my breakfast I saw, out of the corner of my eye, Wayne appear at the kitchen door.  He came home to have his lunch. Then he walked away, then appeared again, then walked away again.  I opened the door and stepped out.  "What the hell?"  There was water on the garage floor coming from the storage room where the water heater lives.  Upon further examination, he discovered the bottom had rusted out.  We were going to drain it, but all the hoses that were nearby are probably 832 feet long, so I remembered I had a short one near some pine trees.  Ants had constructed an elaborate hill around it, so I was treated to a couple of ant bites while I drug it around to the garage.  He hooked it up, but wasn't able to turn the knob to drain it, so it's practically useless until the plumber gets here.  Plus, he couldn't turn off the water supply to the heater...frozen, or something.  I couldn't find the manual...I looked up the purchase in Quicken and the last time I bought a water heater was in 1997.  The manual is here somewhere.  I get to throw it away when it shows up.  Yay!

Wayne wanted to do the job himself, but I refuse to let him...it's too hot, and if something goes wrong we'll need a plumber anyway.  I called all the plumbers in the yellow pages and left a message at all but one of them.  Finally, I called Kelly and he gave me the cell phone numbers of two plumbers.  The first one I called answered and he is the lucky winner of the weekend sweepstakes!

I had already called Rioux's and had them charge a new water heater and bring it downstairs, so Daniel is going by to pick it up on his way out here.  Should be here any minute now.

While he's here, I'm going to take him to 2 or 3 areas in the house that need repairs so he can come back with whatever he needs to do that during the week.  Unfortunately, most of the areas he will see will look pretty "hoardy". 

Why, oh why can't I make myself just do a little every day?  Lazy, I tell you.

No comments: