Monday, August 13, 2012

Spoons (but not the game), etc.

I remembered one other thing I accomplished yesterday...I fixed the garbage disposal.  I'm not sure if I should really count that since I was the one who broke it.  Apparently a spoon (my favorite spoon) fell into the thing and I forgot about it when I put some potato peels in and turned it on.  It immediately came to a halt.  When I felt around in there, I found the spoon, which was wedged in there pretty good.  I tried a wooden spoon to pry it loose, but the handle was too short...not enough leverage.  So then I tried a paint stick, which was long enough but too flimsy.  Then I thought of the knife sharpener...you know, the long steel file one that chef's use...and that worked like a charm.

The disposal just hummed when I tried it again, though, so I used the wooden spoon to turn it backwards a few turns and then when I tried it again...voila!...it worked.  The spoon that had been wedged was a goner...the bowl of the spoon was a bit chewed and, of course, the handle was bent from my prying it out.  So, I tossed it.

In case you're wondering, (and you're probably not) I don't have only one pattern of spoons in my silverware drawer.  That would be silly if they were all alike and one of them was my favorite.  No, I have five different patterns.  But, not a whole set in any of them...one or two of a couple of patterns, more in a couple more patterns.
My favorite is on the far right.
It's my favorite because I like the way it fits and feels in my hand.  It's the right weight and shape.  It's a good spoon...the one I choose every time I need a spoon to eat with.  I have a few more of that pattern...maybe three.

The middle one is a cheap-ass spoon...very thin and I would never use it for eating.  I go for it when I need to correct the seasoning.  I don't like the one on the far left.  See the way it flares out at the end of the handle?  It feels scratchy on my palm.  I don't like to eat with it.  I would eat with the one next to it if I had to, but it wouldn't be my first choice.  The last one, between the cheap-ass spoon and my favorite spoon is not one I would choose to eat with.  It's more like the middle spoon, but it has a pretty shape and a nice weight.  I basically leave it in the drawer except for tasting.

So there you have it.  Proof that I am certifiable.  Don't get me started on the forks!

No comments: