I chronicle these lapses only because they make me laugh. I don't really think I'm losing it!
I always change from nightclothes into "real" clothes before I leave my bedroom. This morning I changed from the gown I slept in, to the pair of short pajamas I usually wear. I didn't notice it until I had them on and was about to go downstairs.
Shall I tell about the other lapse involving pajamas...long ago? I think so, for the one or two who haven't heard the story.
I was still working at Rioux's, and I had a cell phone, so it was sometime between 1996 and 2003. My habit then was to put on whatever top I was going to wear, do my hair and make-up, then put on my slacks and shoes and then head out the door. This particular morning I followed the same routine. I guess I didn't leave time to eat breakfast, so I poured a bowl of something (Chex mix, probably) and put it in my lap to snack on while I drove the 12 or so miles to work. After arriving and parking in my usual place at the side of the hardware store, I walked along the side of the building and was about to turn the corner to head to the entrance when I noticed a flash of red. I looked down and was horrified to see that I had forgotten to change out of my red plaid flannel pajama pants...which didn't come anywhere near looking good with the top I was wearing.
Now, think about that. I went into my closet and put my shoes on. Surely I had to look down to select and then put my shoes on. One would have thought the red plaid flannel LONG pajama pants would have caught my eye at that point. Or...that I might have noticed the red plaid flannel pajamas as I reached into the bowl in my lap at some time during the 15 minute drive to work.
But, no...I didn't notice until about 10 seconds before I would have entered the door at work. And thank goodness that I noticed it then and didn't actually get in the door. As it was, I spun around, hurried to get into the car, and called the office. I told my co-worker, "I'm here, but I have to go home," and then explained to her what I had done. By the time I was about a block from work, I was already cracking up laughing and had started calling people to let them know what I had done.
I wish I had a photo from that morning. I would totally post it here!
No comments:
Post a Comment