Sunday, August 22, 2010

The router adventures

Picture me dancing around the room singing.  I actually got my router installed and I am sitting in my recliner as I type this...fully expecting it to work exactly as it's supposed to.

It was a challenge, though.  Not that it was really difficult...but, when you attempt to do something for the first time, the instructions sometimes take a while to sink in.  Plus, as usual, there were interruptions galore.

My brother Andy and one of his sons, Jason, stopped by this afternoon for a visit. We had a nice visit and I had Jason look at the router box to see if it looked like there was any reason it wouldn't be suitable for my computer.  He thought it looked like what I probably needed, so after they left, and after I finished watching the movie I had paused when they arrived, I headed to the computer and started opening the box.

About that time, Carolyn called to say that she and the kids were coming over for a little visit.  So, the installation had to wait a little while longer.  Once they left, I headed upstairs again and tried to decipher what were actually very clear illustrations of the connections between the computer, the existing internet modem and the router.  The process was made more difficult by my not realizing that an actual physical connection to the internet was required during the installation...even though the instructions clearly stated that an actual physical connection to the internet was required.

By then it was time to make supper...so, off I went to create another culinary  masterpiece.

I'm going to spare you most of the rest of this adventure.  There were multiple user names and passwords, both generated by the router and me.  There was registration, confirmation of registration, upgrade of firmware, question submitted to the support team, email from the support team, closing down, unplugging and finally trying the wireless internet connection.

Which didn't work.  But Windows very kindly took me by the hand and led me to the place I needed to be and did everything except input the Network Security Key for me.  Unfortunately, as it turned out, because I didn't know what the hell that was.  I went back through all the passwords and eventually figured out what was needed and input it.  And voila!  I was connected.

Truth be told, the router installation CD, the router website, and windows did most of the work...I was necessary to connect the pieces, put the CD into the slot, and a few other things.  It reminds me of a joke about NASA sending a monkey and an astronaut into space during the early days of space flight.  At a press conference it was explained to the media that the monkey could take off, pilot, navigate, operate the computer and land the spacecraft.  Someone in the audience asked, "If the monkey can do all that, what does the astronaut do?"  The answer..."Feed the monkey." In my case, I guess I'm the astronaut.

So, as I said at the beginning, I am now sitting in my recliner with my feet up, typing like mad while Blogger saves every little while.  It seems like a better connection than when I was wired, but I don't know how that could be.  It's probably just the way it is at this moment.  I'll have to see how it does on the Snapfish website.

Oh, and the printer decided to be wireless today, too.  I don't know why.

No comments: