Thursday, September 2, 2010

Old Photos and Memories

Well, I thought I might actually just watch television tonight since I'd spent the entire day on the computer.  But, I only managed to watch a little while...playing a game on my phone during the commercials...before I decided I wanted to have the computer on my lap.  I guess it's official...I'm addicted to the laptop.

What I did all day was scan old photos into the computer.  Not all day.  But enough of it that I didn't do much else.  I had already scanned all the photos in our wedding book.  After 45 years they had turned a sort of mauve.  I did that yesterday or the day before, finally.

Last year, when we were looking for photos of Robin for the wedding video, I went through all our old photograph albums.  You remember them, don't you?  Back in the stone age people took photographs using cameras with film and then we actually took the film somewhere (usually the drugstore) and had it developed and actually had pictures printed.  And if we were really on top of things we put the pictures in albums, too.  While I was looking through all the albums and boxes (many of them didn't make it into albums), I took our wedding album upstairs with the intention of scanning the photos.  That never happened for whatever reason.  But the book stayed upstairs, becoming the base for a stack of other stuff.

So, as I said, I did finally scan our wedding pictures.  Luckily, back in the day, the albums were nothing like the albums of today.  There were a mere 25 photos in the album.  Plus one that was evidently the picture we put in the paper.

The weddings of yesteryear were pretty far removed from the weddings of today, too.  My dad had saved the receipt from the reception which was held at the Magnolia Tea Room...the large, old home of a large, old, mostly deaf woman.  She baked the cake and provided the dishes and coffee service and whatever else was needed at the reception.  She could be a tad cranky and was fairly inflexible...things had to be done her way.  No music that I can remember, no dinner, no dancing.  Just cake and a little visiting, then up the stairs to change into our traveling clothes.  Down the stairs, pose for a picture and race out to the car while being showered with rice.   I'm not sure, but I would be really surprised if we weren't out of there by 10 PM...and the wedding started at 7:30! The bill for the reception...$300.  Seriously!

There was only coffee and punch at the reception...but, it was a different story when the guests moved to my parent's house where they partied hard, so I'm told.

Here we are emerging from St. John's Catholic Church in Taiton.  St. Philip's Catholic Church was being remodeled and weddings were being held in the gym.  I said, "I don't think so."

Not one of your towering cakes found at receptions today.  I think there was a Groom's Cake, too...but, I'm not sure. 

We're about to leave the reception...all dressed up in our grown-up, fancy traveling clothes.  I was almost 20; Wayne was almost 22.


We're making the dash to our car...not a limo.  We drove to Houston and stayed in the apartment that was going to be our home.  We left a couple of days later for our honeymoon in Las Vegas...where I was underage and couldn't take advantage of any of the free drinks included in our honeymoon package.

1 comment:

Ceecee said...

Bravo for all the scanning! Our weddings had so many similarities, both so different from current trends.