We have completed 8 days of our 11 day New England fall foliage tour and I am really tired and stuffed to within an inch of my life. The food has been outstanding and I almost always clean my plate. We've had lobster out the wazoo My legs are tired, my butt is tired and my mind is tired.
We are in Lake Placid, New York, at the Mirror Lake Inn. Our view is of the lake and it's really beautiful. Theres a small (man-made) waterfall below our little balcony. We have the door to the balcony open because we are freaking hot! We have turned off the heat/AC most of the time.
We arrived here at about 4:45 this afternoon. We walked into the shopping district where I finally got the last of the t-shirts for the grands. I got Jax one that says "I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. I need to speak to my grandma."
My sinuses have been causing me some problems for the last few days, so I've been taking an antihistamine once or twice a day. That has helped a bit, but this afternoon after lunch I took 2 pills and it has really made me tired. I took 2 more a little ago and wish I could go to sleep right now. I need to stay awake for one more hour to take my thyroid medicine on an "empty" stomach. I think it would take days to actually have an empty stomach.
At dinner I could only finish half my roast beef sandwich and half my beer. I couldn't finish my one beer...seriously...
Then we came back to our rooms and finished the left over cheesecake we had after lunch. It was Carole's birthday, so we helped her celebrate. At the restaurant t
he cheesecake was served hot, topped with meringue. Each piece was huge...at least a 4x4x4 inch piece. Ours was the last to be served, but we couldn't finish it because we had to catch the ferry to cross Lake Champlain. So we got to-go containers and hurriedly packed them up. I didn't think I could possibly eat any of it, but I ate every bite.
Small world...one couple on the tour was from Spring. She told Dee that she knew where El Campo was because she had played Mah Jong there once. She had met some of the people from El Campo, but couldn't remember the names. She and Dee had talked about this several days ago. At the tavern where we were eating our sandwiches, Karen and her husband had eaten there, too. When they paused at our table as they were leaving, Dee asked Karen if she remembered any names. Karen answered, "No, I went there with my friend, Virgie Johnson, and...". I don't remember how she finished the sentence...I was just dumfounded that she was a friend of Virgie's and I met her while having dinner in Lake Placid. She was on the tour, so technically I had met her before then...but, still.
Tomorrow I think we go on a boat ride and then watch someone demonstrate ski jumping. I don't know how that is accomplished as I don't see any snow around here. Then we have lunch on our own and the rest of the day to ourselves before a big dinner tomorrow night.
Who would have ever thunk I'd get tired of fabulous food!
No comments:
Post a Comment